Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lamp

When I started this project I wasn't 100% sure how it would turn out.  This lamp is part of our bedroom reno and started when I was inspired by this base at a second hand store.  I spent $3 on this lamp and love the teak look .  I thought is was awesome but finding the perfect shade proved to be a little more difficult.


Before I even tried the lamp I stared looking for a lamp shade.  My Mom kept asking me if it worked and luckily, when I tried it after I was totally done all the work, it worked!!!  I found a lamp shade at Home Sense for $7.  It was not the colour I was hoping for but the shape and size was perfect.  I was extremely difficult to find a shade so I was happy when I found this and knew the recovering of the shade would just be another project for me.


I found some fabric to cover the shade in the ends section of my local fabric store.  It is amazing because it matches our new chair perfectly and has the same felt finish as our chair.


I cut the material to the right size and used spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the shade.  I used a credit card to spread as I went, ensuring there were no creases when it was complete.  This was a little more tricky than I anticipated.  It's really difficult to cut the fabric to the right size, and you want to be careful with the spray adhesive when using a light coloured fabric.  There is definitely a back side to the lamp shade. 


 I set to work and when it was all said and done I loved it.  The best part...it cost me $14 total!!!!  Can you believe it?  I think for future lamp purchases I will start at a thrift store.  I was inspired by the shape of some of the older style lamps and think a coat of spray paint would bring these awkward coloured lamps into 2010.  I love how I was able to completely custom design my lamp for my room.  It was perfect on the budget and you won't find it anywhere else.



No comments: