Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Waiting Bench

When I was growing up, my parents had a bench in their foyer that we jokingly referred to as the waiting bench. The name was the result of multiple different men over the years who had found themselves taking a seat waiting for one of the three girls to be ready to go out for the night.  In an effort to spice up my small foyer I decided to add a bench, and while there are no men waiting on this bench (yet), it serves its purpose for me to pull on my boats and store the Boss' outdoor accessories.

I started with a tv stand from IKEA.  We are renovating our bedroom and no longer need these for nightstands.


I used a piece of wood cut to fit the top of the stand, spray adhesive, batting, carpenter glue and canvas material from IKEA.


 I cut the batting to size and used the adhesive to stick the sheets together and then to the piece of wood.  I used 4 sheets but you can continue to layer them until you reach the softness you desire.  I then cut the material adding an inch all the way around the bench pad.  Next, place the batting face down on the back of the material and pull the sides up tight.  Use the staple gun to attach the fabric to the back of the bench pad.  I then used wood glue to secure the pad to the bench and my husband placed 4 screws (one in each corner) for me to ensure that they wouldn't separate.  I finished the look by adding two small baskets on the bottom shelf to keep the Boss' stuff.  Easy!!!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

looks great Chels!!
I'm so mad that our Ikea doesn't sell fabric!!

Unknown said...

Wow Chels!! Looks great!! I'm gonna have to get you over to help me with inspiration :o)
Hope the next sewing project goes well...if you want to borrow the machine just call...

Mark and Tara said...

Love this Chels! We have the same Ikea bedside stand so I'm definitely going to keep this in mind when it comes time to recycle it!

EvA. . . said...

Just found your blog. You have some really cute ideas and this is one of my favorites:) Good job it came out beautiful! Following along!

Daniela said...

Thank you so much for sharing this idea, now I know what to do with my night stands lacking a bench in the entry hall! I'll put the two together and then follow your steps, perfect!