Wednesday, August 10, 2011

We avoided this for 14 months...

AMOXICILLIN!


Oh Goodness, just when you think you have this parenting thing figured out...
Baby comes home with a rash.

You might remember from my previous post that The Girl spent the weekend with my parents.  I mentioned she had a fever but that she was probably just teething...
do I blame all fevers on teething?  See this post.


When the girl started acting strange I blamed it on a thousand different things.
She's teething, she just had shots, she's teething, maybe she's just becoming a brat.  
Yes, I did actually say that.  When the girl turned her head and refused food, I thought she was showing me attitude.  
(In fairness to me, she said "NO!" in her squeaky I'm the Queen of the world voice 
and threw her head to the side) 
She even started to throw her head back and scream for no reason at all....
it looked a lot like a temper-tantrum to me, 
but not to to the medical profession.
A few of her symptoms did worry me but she wasn't screaming (thank-goodness) so it didn't seem like sickness.  
Her fever came and went, 
her appetite came and went, 
she slept one night through the night and then not the next, 
she even stumbled and tripped over her own feet, but again she does this on occasion...she's one!


While throwing one of these "temper-tantrums" I was referring to earlier,  I noticed her stomach was covered in a rash.  I flipped her over and sure enough her back was covered too.  
Oh no!

I did what ever good mother does and called my own mom, and then my sister (also a Mom)
My Mom lives right around the corner so I threw the Girl into the car to get a "professional" opinion.  
We decided that I would take her to the clinic and get it checked.  All I could think of was what if I don't get this checked and it gets worse, then I will have a screaming one year old and a decision to wait it out or brave emerg...ugh!  Mr. D. works right beside a clinic so we told him where we were and he met us there when he was done. 

The doctor at the clinic asked lots of questions then checked The Girl out. 
It turns out she has an ear infection of some sort.  
When you say it out loud it all makes sense...
fever, loss of appetite, loss of balance, grabbing her cheek/ear...yup!  
How did I miss this? 
Sorry Baby Girl...next time you just might need to scream.  
Your brave, easy going temperament leaves clear symptoms unnoticed.

So, until seven o'clock last night we lost our amoxicillin virginity.  
It was a good run Girl!  
I gave her her meds and put her in the tub...there were clearly no hard feelings.  She splashed away and then cuddled with Mommy before going to bed like an angel.
Luckily, I have today off to nurse my Baby back to health. 



No comments: