Friday, November 18, 2011

Embracing the Season...

There's a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow called  "There was a little girl"
and it goes like this

There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,     
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

I sometimes think of this poem as my 18 month old throws a fit in the middle of a mall,
or when she throws her head back and screams when asked to do something she doesn't want to do.
Most of the time she is so happy and easy going but every so often...watch out.

This really upsets me and stresses me out, 
especially in public places.
I feel like everyone is watching and thinking "So glad she isn't mine",
I think to myself "she is such a sweet child, you would l just love her to bits".

And then I see this sweet face...




Something about this sweet girl just brings a smile to my face.
During this holiday season there are going to be meltdowns,
they are inevitable.

Rather than allowing her ugly moments to stress me out, 
I am choosing to embrace them.
Loving this little person for who she is and realizing that the reason for her meltdown, 
is usually the result of being pushed to far.

Why is it shocking to me that an 18 month doesn't have the same shopping attention span as I do?
I guess she doesn't realize how many gifts we need to buy?  

My Girl is truly a gift from God and I am so excited for all this holiday season will bring.
I am so excited to share Thanksgiving, Christmas, and all the travelling in between with her.
I will find my joy in her joy!

Linking here:




2 comments:

mommy baum said...

i LOVE that little red jacket....what a sweetheart!

C.LEE said...

She is gorgeous! I love your perspective. That is how I try to see things but often fail. Thanks for sharing!!! xoxo